MakeDo Friday / 1st May 2020

When I started this Friday blog it was all about giving myself time to take more photographs, to spend more time bird-watching and particularly to spend time exploring (and specifically exploring northern Scotland - including, of course, Shetland).

That was before the Big Lockdown.  And despite the deluded 'past-the-peak' rhetoric, I'm not expecting to be doing a lot of travelling in the near future.

So, when a Zoom-free-Friday is available one simply has to make do.

One can start the day with the proscribed 'exercise hour' - in my case I will, inevitably, have a camera in hand.  Today I was revisiting some of the Headington lanes - at this time of year, the bonus is that the wild flowers along the lanes change on a daily basis.  At the moment the lanes have a green-and-white theme going, and specifically a garlic theme - with both wild garlic (ramsons or ramps, in some places) and three-cornered garlic much in evidence.

Green and White
Wild Garlic
Three-cornered Garlic

Although I can't quite figure why this meant I needed to have three cameras floating around the desk.

Cameras for most purposes

Having taken and sorted through the images, next priority is bird watching (in the garden) - we have a very regular gang of house sparrows, starlings and magpies around the feeders, with very often jackdaws and robins, and occasionally other cast members too.  Today's special guests were a pair of goldfinches.

Seed mix, buggy nibbles and meal worms - to suit most avian palates

All these visitors drop in to make use of the bird buffet - keeping it filled is close to a full time job at times. And yes, there is Nyjer seed too, to keep the goldfinches happy.

The good news is that I'm sticking with my regular No-Mow-May routine, so I can leave grass cutting off the to do list for at least another month.

No Mow May

Have photographed the garlic and fed the birds, the only agenda item left is exploration.

OS Landranger 21

Today's exploration was around Tain in Ross & Cromarty.  It's where my Mackenzie ancestors come from - and I've been doing a bit more family history exploring - I'm currently back to about the 1730s (which is about 7 generations back - where there were a lot of agricultural labourers floating around the family).

And the Shetland link? - today I did come across a possible(?) distant relative who wound up emigrating to Canada, where she married a chap from Lerwick in the Shetland Islands - more research needed.

OS Landranger 4

It's alway useful to have a relevant Ordnance Survey sheet to hand - even (or perhaps especially) if you can't actually get there.

No comments: