WaterSide / 10th January 2020

Having just spent a couple of days on a "Transitioning into Retirement" course - it seemed like a good idea to put some of the ideas/resolutions into practice, so (i) spending time outside, Check; (ii) getting more exercise, Check; (iii) taking more pictures, Check.  Just like a normal Friday.

Actually this retirement malarkey seems pretty easy - at least when the sun is shining and I don't have any aches and pains.

The initial plan was to walk via one of the scenic waterside routes into the central of Oxford - then spend time in a coffee shop reflecting on the pre-retirement course and to give a bit of thought to some of the longer distance walking projects I have in mind for the year.

From the Marston Cycle Track
Cherwell at Parson's Pleasure
Cherwell at Parson's Pleasure 
Cherwell at Parson's Pleasure

However, as I sat contemplating when to actually get on with one of the longer distance walks (specifically the Thames Path that I did some of a couple of years ago) I realised that I should stop sitting and get on with some walking.  So, I set off to the Head of the River in Oxford, and meandered my way past the college boathouses and towards Iffley Lock (stopping only briefly for lunch at the Iris Farmhouse!)

Head of the River, Oxford
Oxford College Boathouses
Iffley Lock
Outside the Isis Farmhouse
Iffley Lock
Not a particularly long walk, but lovely to be along the waterside in the sunshine, and it was also with first day this year that I've walked more than 20 km in a day.

I've set myself a target of 2000 miles for the year (yes, I know my units of measurement are inconsistent, but a target of 3219 km doesn't really work - 4000 is too much, and 3000 doesn't seem like enough of an increase on last year) which means averaging 5.5 miles or 8.8 km each day.

And by the end of day 10 of 2020, I'd clocked up 53 miles, I clearly need a few more 20km (or 12 mile) days to boost the average.




No comments: