Boots On / 31st January 2020

Long ago I walked quite a lot of the Thames Path - from Lechlade down to Marlow.  I did that as series of day walks finding my back to Oxford each evening.  That was in March 2018, and somehow it's taken me a while to get back to that project and to figure out how to finish the walk.

So this morning, I caught a couple of buses and made my way back to Marlow with the plan of heading down the riverside to Teddington Lock, roughly 60 kilometres to be done over three days with a couple of overnight pub stops thrown in for good measure.

The Thames Path, particularly on this part of the river, is very easy walking.  It's essentially flat and there isn't any navigation to do, and where there are any fiddly bits - usually to accommodate the owners of big houses and/or big boats - there is good waymarking.

So it's really just a matter of putting one foot in front of the other and repeating as the locks tick by.

Marlow Wier
Boulters Lock
Bray Lock
Boveney Lock 
Windsor

And the reward for completing the first 22km - a pint or two of a lovely orangey winter ale (called Mandarin) from the Windsor and Eton Brewery.

A good way to spend a Friday.

No comments: