EV71

Part of a series - exploring Scotland map by map - for more background

Exploring (Virtually) OS Landranger Sheet 71 : Lanark & Upper Nithsdale



Moving just 50 miles east makes a huge difference to the landscape.  The previous sheet included lots of coast and sea, this one is completely inland - and is filled with place names I recognise, but would struggle to place accurately on a map of Scotland.

I certainly recognise some of places from road signs on the M74.  I've driven up and and down that road more times than is sensible - heading to or from Edinburgh, or the Cairngorms or Aberdeen - and barring brief pit-stops at the services at Abington (down in the SE corner), I'm not sure I've ever stopped in this sheet.

And what am I going to do when I get to visit this sheet in real life?

There's a copy of the Cicerone guide to the Southern Upland Way on the shelf in my study - I got rather put off when I realised that it was way over 200 miles long.  About 30 of those miles twist their way tortuously up and down through the Lowther Hills - going through Sanquhar (a name I'm told I ought to recognise - there's a knitting connection) and Wanlockhead (a name I do recognise - there's a pub connection).  The former is the home of a traditional black and white knitting pattern, the latter the location of the highest village and highest pub in Scotland.

If you scour the northern edges of the map the area the area around Lanark and New Lanark, not only does it appear to be the end of the railway line, it also appears to be the end (or perhaps the beginning) of the Clyde Walkway.  And since I've made a point of trying to visit UNESCO World Heritage sites in lots of countries - it seems a bit daft that I've not been to New Lanark. It would seem to be a good starting point for the 40 mile stroll down the Clyde (a 40 mile trail feels a bit more approachable than a 200 mile one).

Exploring New Lanark

The map also reveals lots of signs of a local mining past ("opencast workings" and "Coalburn" are a bit of clue) and a wind-farming present just west of the village of Douglas and just south of New Cumnock.

Visits? Numerous transits - next time, I will stop!


No comments: